main in hardhat on the floor after an accident at work

Falls from height are one of the main causes of serious injuries and the largest cause of workplace fatalities in the UK. The Work at Height Regulations 2005 (as amended in 2007) are there to help protect everyone who has to work at Height.

When do falls from height accidents at work occur?

Any employee who works at height may be potentially at risk. The following are some of the common accidents and claims for compensation for personal injuries that we have come across at What’s My Claim Worth.

  • Falls from Ladders 
  • Falls from Scaffolding 
  • Falls from Roofs
  • Falls from Machines

Which workers are at risk?

Any employee who works at height is potentially at risk of a fall but the following are some of the type of workers we have helped to pursue a claim for compensation.

  • Builders and construction workers
  • Window cleaners
  • Warehouse operatives
  • Stockroom workers
  • Painters and decorators
  • Office cleaners standing on a chair to reach a high place to clean

What should your employer do?

Your employer must do all that is reasonably practical to prevent any of their employees from falling. They are required to carry out a risk assessment before any work is started and if possible to avoid their employees from actually working at height. Where this cannot be avoided suitable equipment should be provided and used to prevent falls and proper training should be given. The following are some examples of safety precautions your employer might implement:

  • Place railings and handrails on stairs, ladders, platforms and high walkways
  • Provide workers with equipment such as harnesses and helmets
  • Provide platforms instead of ladders wherever possible

Try the Claimometer

Calculate how much your claim could be worth in just seconds

Try the Claimometer

How to claim for a Fall from Height

If you suffer a fall from height at work you may be able to make a claim for compensation for personal Injury if you can prove that the accident occurred due to the fault of your employer or a fellow worker (for whose actions your employer is vicariously responsible).

Make sure that your accident is recorded in the accident book both where you are working and with your employer and you should take details of anyone who witnessed the accident. If you sustain a serious injury where you are not able to work for more than 7 days then your employer is required to report the accident to the Health and Safety Executive.

If you think you may have a claim for compensation get in touch with a specialist solicitor to handle the claims process. At What’s My Claim Worth we have a specialist team ready to help you.

Call us free on 0800 025 0000 Open 24hr


No Win, No Fee

The legal costs of a personal Injury compensation claim are dealt with under a ‘no win, no fee’ agreement.