Compensation for a personal injury claim is a payment of money to you, also called an ‘Award of Damages’. There are two types of compensation:

General Damages

General Damages can include compensation for the following:

  • Pain and suffering (physical and/or psychological)
  • Effects on your working/personal life

General damages are the amount of money paid to you to compensate you for the injury you have suffered – to compensate you for the pain and suffering you have had to endure and the effect this has had on your working life, leisure activities and hobbies. The pain and suffering could be physical or psychological or both.

Special damages

Special damages include all out of pocket expenses that you have incurred due to an injury. This can include:

  • loss of earnings
  • damage to clothing or belongings
  • vehicle repairs, car hire and storage costs (in the case of a road traffic accident)
  • medical treatment such as physiotherapy, counselling etc
  • travel expenses such as bus, train, taxi fares and petrol expenses for attending medical appointments etc
  • personal care or assistance that you need to help you cope with your injury
  • aids and equipment such as mobility scooters, hearing aids etc

It is always a good idea to keep receipts or tickets for anything that you pay out for as this will make it easier to claim back the money spent.  It is also helpful to keep a diary of hospital and doctors appointments.

It is also important that you keep your payslips if you have suffered  loss of earnings although if you do not have them it is usually possible for the information to be obtained at a later stage from your employers. Loss of earnings can often form a large park of your special damages claim if you have not been paid for any time off work or if you have been paid a reduced amount of your usual wages.