What's My Claim Worth Banner

Claiming Compensation when a Driver Fails to Stop at an Accident

Have you been involved in a road traffic accident where the other driver failed to stop after the crash? If so we can help you claim compensation if you have been injured in a crash, where the driver has failed to stop.

Imagine your frustration if you were involved in an accident which was not your fault, then in the few moments that it took to compose yourself, the other driver drove off without stopping or gave you false details. You are left on the side of the road with a damaged car and possibly a personal injury, with no one to blame or pay out compensation.

Do not despair, all is not lost!

If you are involved in such a situation, where the other driver fails to stop and is untraced, you can still make a claim for property damage and personal injury.

An organisation known as the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) compensates victims of untraced drivers in limited circumstances.

The following steps should be taken to enable a claim to be brought via the MIB.

  • Make a formal report of the incident to the police straight away, the MIB’s agreement requires you to report the accident within 5 days  if you are only claiming damage to property and 14 days if you are injured
  • Make enquiries to see if you can identify the driver, check any given details with the police, try making contact with the motorist in person and/or tracing the registered keeper via DVLA and contacting him
  • If you cannot identify the driver, make inquiries to see if you can identify the vehicle involved through any registration number you have been given or any passer-by has recorded
  • Contact your own insurers to report the accident as it will be a term of your contract of insurance that all accidents are reported

Provided you have done the above, a claim form must be lodged with the MIB within 9 months of your accident if property damage is being claimed. If you are fully comprehensively insured you should arrange for your insurers to deal with the damage to your car. If no property damage is being claimed, then the claim form for a personal injury claim must be lodged within three years of the date of the accident. Obviously, if you are considering claiming via the MIB, a claim form should be submitted to them as soon as practicably possible.

The MIB will then normally investigate the claim. They will contact the police, request a copy of the police report and usually obtain your medical records. They may also write to your employers for lost earnings information and contact any witnesses.

The MIB will normally appoint an agent to obtain a statement from you in relation to the accident circumstances. If they are happy that there are no relevant insurers that can deal with your claim and that the accident occurred as alleged, they will deal with your claim. A medical report will be obtained in relation to your injuries and you will have to prove any claim for out of pocket expenses.

Try the Claimometer

Calculate how much your claim could be worth in just seconds

Try the Claimometer

Hit & Run Compensation Case Studies

How to make a Hit & Run Compensation Claim

At What’s My Claim Worth we are dedicated to providing you with the right advice from your initial enquiry to the settlement of the case. We are happy to assist you with pursuing a claim via the MIB and we work towards ensuring that you get the amount of compensation that you deserve. We have dealt with many claims for compensation for claimants injured in accidents caused by untraced drivers, who have failed to stop after a crash.

If you need advice and assistance in pursuing a claim caused by an untraced driver please do not hesitate to contact us on our 24 hour freephone number 0800 025 0000. Alternatively, you can use our Claimometer to get an estimate of how much your compensation claim could be worth.

Call us free on 0800 025 0000 Open 24hr

What's My Claim Worth BannerMore

How To Calculate A Personal Injury Claim

What’s My Claim Worth have extensive experience in dealing with accidents which result in personal injury. If you have suffered an accident which has resulted in a personal injury, you may be able to claim